vendredi 26 octobre 2007

good bye paris


mr. t in paris? oui!


keith enjoys the scooters. this popular "tri-pod" model was funny.


keith and his new sunglasses! tré cool!


our favorite greek take out/street food is the best and I already miss it. the owners don't really speak any english and we have to always point and do our best to order. we guess at most things but are always satisfied! the best part is they give a *free* item with every order - usually we have no idea at all what it is, even after we eat it. (that is a weird thing for me...to eat something and have no clue what is in it!) the first time it was pretty easy...big beans in red sauce, but then it got harder. the second time it was a pinkish paté or sauce. and today it was a wonderful slightly pinky-white spread with this time I guess fresh dill and maybe salmon pieces. either way, it was amazing with bread!

oh, and they have the best feta-stuffed olives....I can't wait for greece!
***


ok. on to dinner. we decided after much research and computer translation to go out for one nice meal. we went to Bistrot du peintre. as expected, the waiter was a little "huffy and impatient" but the food was soooo wonderful! we sat in the outside sealed in plastic section with heat lamps. tré sexy. keith did a great job at ordering. I tend to lack confidence when it comes to being bold with my french on the spot, so keith pointed to our guesses of what we knew was a carrot/zuchinni/parmesan appetizer, and then duck for me and beef for keith.

this dish was so good, I can't even explain. nothing like this simple dish in america. it reminded me of a fancy mac'n'cheese but oh so better. the carrots and zuchini were soft and sweet and there was some kind of seasoned white cream sauce and then the best parmasan baked on top. wowwy pants!

this was keith's beef. wonderful. perfectly done...on the rare side with onion (think french onion soup) on top and big potato wedges. (the fries were amazing. the beef was pretty good, but nothing like how awesome ann's duck was - particularily the sauce. -k)

and mine....the duck. I had no idea what I was getting. when the dish came out I thought, "gee, that isn't scary at all!" the duck was tender and rare...perfect with a peppery crust on top. then the best sauce...like a chutnuy of fruit mixed with butter and maybe aux jus? and again, super great pomme frites and horseradish-tasting greens. all very complimentary.



duck details

beef details

me eating....

...and yup, I got a "gimpy hand" under the table!
-a

4 commentaires:

tim a dit…

Ann,I miss the hand- it is even contorted around your fork. The duck looked great as the hand confirms. You missed Bob's b-day, seared tuna and halibut cheeks at Sreetside. Keep us informed, Tim

k beaver a dit…

did you guys get married?? or engaged??? I see a gold ring on that finger!!

art blogs are fun a dit…

yes, keith proposed under the eiffel tower.....

no, just kiddin!

a good friend made it for me so when I go to counties like egypt I won't get hasseled. plus it makes it easier to explain "husband" than boyfriend while traveling.

k beaver a dit…

ohhh...i see. maybe you guys will feel as though you are married after the trip...